The factory default for new systems puts the multimedia keys first opposed to the Fx keys. By default you have to hold down Fn and then press the Fx key to get the Fx key. Pressing Fx on its own gives you the multimedia key.
I’m not sure why this was changed however there is a setting in the BIOS setup to allow function keys by default. In this scenario pressing Fx will give Fx and holding down Fn and Fn will give the multimedia option.
- Power down your computer. Wait 10 seconds and power it up. Press F2 at the Dell BIOS Screen.
2. This will take you to the BIOS setup
3. Press the [→] key and then the [enter] key to select the Advanced tab.
4. Press the [↓] key until you get to Function Keys and press [Enter].
5. Press the [↓] key until you get Function Key First and press [Enter].
6. Press F10 to save and exit. When prompted select yes by moving the [←] key and press enter.
7. The system will reboot.