This model and Operating System is not supported by Dell.
Recommended hardware Upgrades
SSD – Solid State Drives
- This unit accepts a 2.5″ Form Factor SATA SSD see Upgrading to a Solid State Drive
- The Optical Drive can be converted into a HDD bay with a 12.7 mm Optical Bay Second SATA to IDE HDD Caddy CD-ROM for Laptop
It is recommended to upgrade it to 4-8 GB of RAM (8 GB Unofficial):
- Crucial Part 4 GB: http://www.crucial.com/uk/upgrade/Dell-memory/Latitude/Latitude+D830-upgrades.html
- Crucial Part 8 GB: http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Latitude/Latitude+D630-upgrades.html
Refer to the Service Manual when performing hardware upgrades.
Note the 64 Bit version must be installed to address all the RAM.
Windows 7 and 8.1 are now obsolete if you have these Operating Systems you should use them to take the Free Upgrade to Windows 10.
If you don’t have a Windows 7/8.1 license you have until the 2nd of October 2015 to upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the Windows 10 Insider 10130 as a stepping stone. See Free Upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 10 (also works with Windows XP).
- Dell System Software [Windows 7 Only]
- Conexant Modem D330 Driver
- Conexant Modem Application
- Conexant Modem Diagnostics
- Conexant Modem Utility
- Conexant Modem HTML
Try in order latest first, if it doesn’t work try for an older version.
For Windows 8.1 the audio driver is inbuilt to the OS and the registry file or older Sigmatel Driver should not be installed.
- Dell ControlPoint System Manager A21, Version 1.7.10000 Update Package Windows 7 32 bit
- Dell ControlPoint System Manager A19, Version 1.7.00000 Hard Drive Version Windows 7 32 bit
Dell Backup and Recovery
Note this system won’t be able to boot from a Rescue Disk (external hard drive) so make a Factory Backup (Bootable USB Flash Drive).