This model and Operating System is not supported by Dell.
Recommended hardware Upgrades
This system will only run Windows 7 64 Bit if a 64 Bit processor is installed such as the Intel T7200, T7400 or T7600. Note the maximum RAM this system can address is 3.25 GB (limited by the chipset).
SSD – Solid State Drives
- This unit accepts a 2.5″ Form Factor SATA SSD see Upgrading to a Solid State Drive
It is recommended to upgrade it to 4 GB of RAM (3.25 GB usable). This is also unofficial, the official maximum is 2 GB.
Refer to the Service Manual when performing hardware upgrades.
This is a Media Direct system and the Media Direct partition should be setup before installing Windows 7 see Preparing your Hard Drive: Setting Up Media Direct.
Windows 7 and 8.1 are now obsolete if you have these Operating Systems you should use them to take the Free Upgrade to Windows 10.
If you don’t have a Windows 7/8.1 license you have until the 2nd of October 2015 to upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the Windows 10 Insider 10130 as a stepping stone. See Free Upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 10 (also works with Windows XP).
- Dell System Software [Windows 7 Only]
- Intel 945GM [Variant A]
- nVidea GeForce [Variant B]
- ATI X1300 Microsoft Update Catalog + Add to Basket Microsoft Update Catalog [Variant C]* pci\ven_1002&dev_7149 pci\ven_1002&dev_714a
- ATI X1400 Microsoft Update Catalog + Add to Basket Microsoft Update Catalog [Variant D]* pci\ven_1002&dev_7145
Try in order latest first, if it doesn’t work try for an older version.
For Windows 8.1 the audio driver is inbuilt to the OS and the registry file or older SigMatel Driver should not be installed.
Install the registry file and then the audio driver. New untested.
* Full Quickset functionality in Windows 7 except for Media Direct button within Windows.
Media Direct Updates
* Requires installation of the Media Direct program.
Dell Backup and Recovery
Only install if you have a larger than a 120 GB SSD/HDD
Note this system won’t be able to boot from a Rescue Disk (external hard drive) so make a Factory Backup (Bootable USB Flash Drive).