As this is primarily a Windows Reinstallation Guide I will focus more on topics important for Windows Reinstallation such as Product Keys, Microsoft Product Activation and the Creation and Use of Recovery Drives. I also look into the relocation of Data to another Drive and finally Apps at the End.
- Product Key and Editions
- Local Account
- Microsoft Product Activation
- Relocation of Data and Apps (Not Completely Working Yet – Failed Tests)
- Recovery Drive (Not Completely Working Yet – Failed Tests)
Installation is very similar to 10125 except the ability to sign in with a local account has returned, product keys are now requested and Microsoft Product Activation has been introduced:
Tests required to be carried out:
- Upgrade from a Windows 7/8.1 OEM/Retail install with a Local Account.
- Clean install on a Windows 8.1 with Bing OEM system with blank new HDD/SSD and Local Account.
- Clean install on a Windows 7 OEM system with blank new HDD/SSD and Local Account.
Product Key and Editions
Moreover the entry of product keys is now required and the selection of a Pro and Home Edition if the product key is skipped:
If you select skip you will be reminded to input a product key later on:
More details about Microsoft Product Activation will be given at the bottom.